Sunday, October 14, 2012

Between You and Me...

A lot of people get confused on I/me, he/him, she/her, they/them things.

It's really easy to do it correctly:

  • I/We/He/She/They is used for the subject (the actor(s) in the statement). In English, the subject usually comes before the verb, as in, "I like him."
  • me/us/him/her/them is for the object (the person being acted on, directly or indirectly, in the statement). In English, it usually comes after the verb and may follow a preposition. Examples are:
    • "He likes me."
    • "She gave me the bill." / "She gave the bill to me."
Everybody knows how to do that, right?

Here's where it gets weird. Some people get confused when the subject or object is a compound pronoun, consisting of more than one element, such as 'he and I,' or 'him and me.'

There's no reason for confusion. The same rules still apply.

You wouldn't say, "Me went to the store." So you wouldn't say, "Jim and me went to the store."
You wouldn't say, "She told I to go to the store." So you wouldn't say, "She told Jim and I to go to the store."
You wouldn't say, "Between we, she's crazy." So you wouldn't say, "Between you and I, she's crazy."

Isn't that cool? It's SOOOOO EASY!

If you want more details, you might enjoy reading this article by Dr. Goodwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment